Building for the Lord by growing in grace and knowledge of Jesus Christ
We are a group of baptized believers in Jesus Christ. The church is midsized in physical structure but giant sized in demonstrating the love of our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ. We actively support mission work both at home and abroad. The church was established in 1904 and is now 106 years old.
New Bethel Missionary Baptist Church is located 11.0 miles from the Headland Town Square.
1100 Allen Road
Dothan, AL 36303
Church Phone: 334-793-7134
Pastor’s Study: 334-699-3955
- 9:00 AM – Sunday School
- 9:45 AM – Bible Study
- 10:45 AM – Worship Service
- 1st Sunday
- 4:30 PM – General Mission
- 3rd Sunday
- 8:00 AM – Prayer Breakfast
- 4:30 PM – Progressive Matrons
No videos found
New Bethel Missionary Baptist Church was formed in 1904 on South Alice Street by a group of members who saw a need for a Baptist church on the south side of Dothan. Services were held in members’ homes prior to the wooden structure being built on acquired land. Rev. F. W. Johnson and Rev. Gould were the first pastors. Many called the church “South Side Baptist”.
On Sunday, July 12, 1942 fire which was reportedly caused by an electrical storm destroyed the church. This was the major headline in the Dothan Eagle on the following day. Many of the current members vividly recall the event. Through prayer, dedication and fervent commitment, the church was rebuilt in 1943 under the leadership of Pastor G. W. Walker and the membership. In 1957 Deacon Peter Jenkins spearheaded the relocation of the church to this present site. The move was prompted by the Urban Renewal Project. A concrete building was erected which was later bricked. The church has undergone many significant renovations and structural changes. In 1959 the church was built on this present site with Rev. G. P. Pugh serving as pastor. The first service was held in the new structure in May 1961.
New Bethel has been blessed to have had many great men of God serving as pastors. According to church records the following are listed: Reverends Johnson, C. D. Goode, Neal, H. Shepard, W. H. Harris, H. E. Fields, Spanks, G. R. Young, R. F. Ford, Charles, Prichett, G. B. Battler, G. P. Pugh, J. W. Poellnitz, A.M. Moseley, Jr., Tony Thompson, Jr., Eugene Leonard, Sr. and in November 1996 Rev. Walter L. Bowers, Sr. began serving as Pastor.
God has saved thousands of souls throughout the history of New Bethel. Although it is quite clear that New Bethel is not the only place where the evidence of God’s saving grace is present, He has certainly smiled greatly upon her and for that the church is mighty grateful.